Friday, December 18, 2009

33 Week Check Up and Baby Care Class

Family and friends, Jackson is doing well!  Thursday morning, we went to our 33 week check-up.  His heartbeat was in the 140's and sounded great.  Dr. Miller said all of my lab work from the last visit came back normal.

I was concerned about my weight gain (8 and 6 pound gains the last two visits) and she said I had only gained about 20 pounds which was really good.  She said to expect to gain a pound a week until delivery as Jackson gains 1/2 pound per week.  I'm expecting to gain more since next week is Christmas.  :)

I am carrying low, but she said that could change in the next few weeks as he grows bigger and bigger.  She also said that I will be feeling him move A LOT more in the next 3-4 weeks.  I know he has been moving a lot every day.  Part of why I am up writing at 3:30 A.M. is because he is awake and abusing my insides!  As much as it can bother me in the middle of the night, I smile knowing he is in there being active.

We go back to the doctor in two weeks for our 35 week exam.  I will keep you posted!

Jose and I went to a free Basic Baby Care Class at the hospital on Tuesday night.  The auditorium was full of pregnant women, eager to learn the basics of caring for their newborn children.  I felt like I was back at EKU again, except my belly wouldn't allow me to use the desk of my own chair.  I was taking notes on everything from what happens right after delivery to giving our baby a bath.  We learned about what to expect after delivery, safety, breastfeeding, changing diapers, proper clothing, giving a bath, caring for the umbilical cord, sleep, and when to call the doctor.

They sent us home with a packet full of papers and stress!  There was so much to learn in so little time.  The nurse that presented told us not to worry... the hospital has a staff that is very supportive and ready to help every new family the best they can.  I thought Jose was out in la-la land during the presentation so I quized him when we got home.  I handed him my stuffed animal dog and he was able to swaddle and burp just like the nurse showed us.  He remembered all the important stuff!  Way to go, papi!

I know that they can only tell us so much to prepare us.  The real test will be when Jackson gets here.  I know that Jose and I will try our best to take care of Jackson.  I am really lucky to have my mom close by to answer questions and give a lending hand.  I already know I'll be calling on her for many things when he does get here.

We are scheduled to go to a few more classes in January.  We look forward to the breastfeeding class and labor & delivery.  I signed my parents up to go to the Joys of Grandparenting class as well.

 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you're delivering at Bap East. That's where I delivered. We went to a ton of clsses as well. Yes, the nurses are AWESOME and will help you with all kinds of things! Definitely take advantage of the lactation consultant there too. When it comes to breastfeeding, it's really hard in the beginning, but stay committed to it for 3 weeks and you and Jackson will be pros! Also, invest in a good pump.
    As for the other baby care things, you and Jose will figure out what works for you all and for Jackson. You may feel overwhelmed when you first come home, but thats very normal. Don't worry, y'all will figure it out and be pros in NO time!
    Not that I'm an expert, but at 12 1/2 weeks in, I've learned a lot, that's for sure, so feel free to contact me anytime!!! ;)
    You, Jose, and Jackson are in my prayers! :)

    ReplyDelete