Friday, November 20, 2009

29 week check-up

I went to the doctor yesterday for my 29 week check-up and glucose test. I was confident going into the appointment but a bit nervous about drinking the glucose juice! So many people told me that it was disgusting and difficult to get down.

I was quite surprised... when I took the first sip, it really tasted like super sweet orange soda. I actually thought it was tasty. I had 5 minutes to drink it but I think I downed it in less than one. I had to wait an hour for them to draw blood. In the meantime, I had my appointment with the doctor.

Dr. Dutton said Jackson and I were doing really well. When she listened to his heart, she smiled and said, "It sounds perfect." Perfect is just what Jose and I wanted to hear!!! I asked the doctor about which way Jackson was laying because I feel him all over the place. She really dug into my belly, feeling for his head and rump. She said he was laying horizontally, but he is still small enough to shift around. Based on my belly measurements, Jackson seems to be growing just right. :)

I was concerned about my weight gain. I gained 8 pounds since my last appointment!!! She said that is more than average for one month, but my overall weight gain is in the normal range. I need to be a little more aware of how much I am eating - thank goodness the Halloween candy is gone! I also ate out a lot in the last month, so I need to get back to cooking for myself.

She and I talked for a good five minutes about getting the H1N1 vaccine. I have been going back and forth about it for months now. The office had about 20 shots left and she strongly encouraged me to get it. She wanted Jose and I to talk it over and decide before we left. We went back to the waiting room to wait for my bloodwork and talked it over. We finally decided it was better to go ahead and get than risk getting H1N1 and getting sick.

So, when I went to finish the glucose test, they vaccinated me. I'm actually relieved to have gotten it. I get so scared when I think about all of the little ones in my class that have been sick and the one that was hospitalized. Just pray that there are no adverse effects for the baby. More than anything, I want him to be safe and healthy.

Ya know, those lab techs need to practice their vein finding/blood drawing skills! She bruised me up pretty good in my left and right arms trying to get my blood. I won't know the results of the glucose test for a few days. She said they would call if there were problems. Let's hope I don't hear from them!

OK... I'm off to watch a Christmas movie. It's not even Thanksgiving, but nothing gets me in the mood like a corny holiday flick!

No comments:

Post a Comment